Being overwhelmed by a chaotic closet is a common problem. Yes sweetie, don’t worry, there is nothing wrong with you, a lot of people constantly battle that problem too. If you one of such people or you just curious about the benefits of dressing with less or just trying to simplify your wardrobe, kick back with a glass of wine or a cup of zobo, (whichever one does it for you) and take a few minutes off, this articles if for you.
Now to answer that question in your mind.
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
Well in case you didn’t know already, a Capsule Wardrobe is as I like to call; it a collection of clothes and accessories that include only items considered essential. OR a set of clothing normally between 25- 30 items, which can be matched and mixed to create a wide variety of outfits.
Reasons why you should build a capsule wardrobe
1. Figure out what matters. Sometimes to figure out what matters, you need to get rid of everything that doesn’t matter. If you are overwhelmed with stuff, you may have forgotten what really matters to you and how you like to spend your time. Living and dressing with less helps to reconnect.
2. Reduces decision fatigue. Jezz, deciding what to wear requires a lot of mental energy which can actually be better spent on other relevant stuff. Instead of trying out 20 outfits when getting ready for the office or to go out in the hopes of finding the perfect things to put on, curate the small capsule wardrobe, then you get to wear your favorite outfits every time and no delayed decision is required.
3. Create more space and time for what you love. Even if you don’t know what you love or what matters yet, keeping your dressing simple gives you a little more time and space to breathe and figure things out.
How to build a capsule wardrobe
1. See: Lay down all your clothes, accessories, jewelry and shoes on your bed. Yes, all of it. If it’s on your bed, you will be motivated to finish the selection before bedtime, else you will end up sleeping on them, and i’m sure you won’t want that. Seeing what you have is an important step. Look at what you’ve acquired, what you’ve spent and what you never wear. It will definitely make you cry or laugh but either ways you get to see everything you have.
2. Sort: Move all the clothes to the floor and without much thought, then begin the sorting process. Just go with the first reactions.
- Love: I love this. They fit me well and i wear them frequently
- Maybe: I want to keep this. But why?
- Donate: This doesn’t fit my body or my lifestyle
- Trash: These are in poor condition.
Keep going at it till the pile is clear, tell yourself ‘you’re almost there’, drink water and take a 10 – 15 mintues break, scroll through you Instagram timeline and then get back on it. Box items to donate and take out of your sight immediately and then throw out the trash. Take a second pass at the two piles left; the love and maybe. Try out the clothing you are not sure about and ask:
- Would i go the store and buy this today?
- Will i wear this in the next 3-6 months ( or ever) ?
If the answers are no, start a new donation pile and immediately add to the other boxed items.
3. Choose: Make a list of 25 – 30 items by category. Start with items you use everyday and you go-to items. This list may change over time due to work , seasons and life changes.
No underlings, sleep clothes or workout clothing should be added.
Once you have cleared your bed and floor, bagged the donations and kept aside, and dealt with the trash, you do not have to give up all items remaining in your love or maybe pile. Instead, box them up and keep them away for a while. A little separation goes a long way. After 3 – 4 months of dressing with less, revisit the items you chose to box up, use them for another capsule or if you feel differently about them, get rid of them.
This should help while building your capsule wardrobe for a start.